Pages

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Publishing My First Novel

It has been a crazy two years.

The more I look at that sentence, the more I realize that it is a vast understatement. When you go from being single, to being married; from financial stability to near ruin; back and forth between health and disability; from having a sure and certain home to questioning where you'll be living and when- All in the space of two years -Saying it has been crazy is a little like saying the monsoons of India are gentle showers. Combine all of this with attempting to get my first novel published and all of the issues that go along with that, and I definitely have had more than my share of crazy.

So here's the deal: I've had a rough time of things financially, just like everyone in this world it seems. That makes it seemingly insurmountable to publish a book, at least on my own. At the same time, this novel is really all I've got going for my family and I. That means that I really do need to publish.

So I'm thinking to myself "How do I manage to do what I can't do?" I know there are plenty of folks out there who might go get a loan or something similar, but I am not in a position to do that- I've got nothing for collateral and very little I could put forward as surety. So again, "How can I do what I can't seem to do?"

Now with God all things are possible; with man, well... With man, we often need some help. Sometimes it's because He wants us to be blessed at the hands of others. Sometimes, its to show us that we're all in this thing together, and we need to stand in unity. ...Then there are the times when we're just proud and God wants to break us down by having us rely upon others. I fell into that third category.

The lesson here for me was that we all need to ask for help; and most times it's because the blessing that comes isn't just for us, but also for those who help.

This is the reason I'm now breaking my personal tradition and asking that you help me. If you can donate anything, terrific- If you can't, please spread the word. This is the door to a new life for us, and I truly believe it is an opportunity for me to give back as well.

Thank you, my friends.